Immigration Law

Temporary Residence

A Temporary resident is a foreign national who is legally present in Canada for temporary purposes.

Temporary residence include:

  • international students,
  • temporary foreign workers,
  • business visitors and
  • tourist.

Students and Visitors

Whether you want your parents to visit you in Canada or to send your son or daughter here for university, we are happy to assist with the immigration process.  

Generally, these types of applications are straightforward and do not need a lawyer. However, there are many different categories of temporary residents and each Canadian embassy has slightly different application requirements.

If there are any special circumstances such as previous refusals by the Canadian embassy, or any previous criminal charges or convictions, or should you simply wish to use a lawyer, we would be glad to assist you on any temporary resident application.

Temporary Foreign workers

Obtaining a temporary work permit to work in Canada can be very challenging and complex for foreign nationals. The process of obtaining temporary work permit depends on the type of job. Some jobs do not require a work permit whereas others do. The application process for jobs that require temporary work permit is very complex because of the rules and the paperwork involve.

We assist clients in all aspects of temporary foreign work permits applications including the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) owner and operator work permit and permanent residence option.

Permanent Residence

Provincial Nominee Programs

Every Canadian Province and Territory has their criteria and requirements for nominating people to immigrate. Provinces and Territories can also recruit candidates from the Express Entry pool.

Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Programs

We have assisted clients in all the Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee programs including the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP).

Express Entry

The government of Canada has redesigned the old skilled worker program to bring in immigrants ready for the job market in Canada. In the past highly skilled immigrants were brought through the old skilled program who ended up pizza delivery workers and taxi drivers simple because their credentials are not recognized in Canada.

Currently, the government use Express Entry to manage applications for permanent residence for three programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program,
  • Federal Trades Program
  • and the Canadian Experience Class.

Step 1:

Create an Express Entry profile, this allows you to give more information about yourself and qualifications. This information will be used to determine your eligibility for the programs mentioned above and to accept you into a pool of candidates.

Once you start an Express Entry profile, you have sixty (60) days to complete it.

Step 2:

They invite the highest-ranking candidates in the pool to apply for permanent residence. You will be ranked in the Express Entry pool using a point-based system called Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Invitations are sent every month or so to the highest scores in the pool.

If you are invited to apply, you will have 60 days to submit an online application for permanent residence.

You may be able to sponsor if you are married to a Canadian, in a common-law relationship with a Canadian, have a parent you wish to sponsor to come to Canada, or wish to adopt a child in another country, you may qualify for one of the Family Class categories. Please contact us and we will suggest different options for you.


There are now 4 ways the Government of Canada has introduced two pilot programs under the caregivers program to replace the previous programs. They are:

  • The Home Child Care Provider Pilot
  • or Home Support Worker Pilot.

To apply for these programs you must:

  • meet the eligibility requirements, and
  • have a job offer to work in one of these occupations

Through these pilots, you’ll get an open work permit to come to Canada and work temporarily. This work permit:

  • is occupation-restricted (so you have to work in that specific occupation),
  • doesn’t need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA),
  • lets you get the work experience you need to be eligible for permanent residence.

If you recently worked as a home child care provider or support worker, your experience may count towards your eligibility for permanent residence.

Criminal Rehabilitation

Criminal Rehabilitation can stop someone from being able to enter the country without special authorization from Canadian immigration officials (see Temporary Residence Permit). Criminal Rehabilitation is an application process whereby a person requests absolution from the Government of Canada for a particular crime or crimes committed in a foreign country. Once an individual completes Criminal Rehabilitation successfully, they have a clean slate with the IRCC and will be able to travel to Canada without hassle from that point on. The Criminal Rehabilitation process only applies to those who have committed offenses outside of Canada.


The government of Canada has an obligation to offer refugee protection under International Human Rights law. There are two ways refugees can seek protection: inland application or private sponsorship overseas. Please contact us and we can assist you with both.

Immigration Appeals and Federal Courts

Some immigration decisions to reject your application for permanent residence can be appealed. Book a consultation to determine if your case can be appealed.